Hackneyed and Not Hackneyed

First things first, perennial new faves Yee Loi have a new EP out, Make Some Noise, which interestingly is not available on bandcamp, but can be had on iTunes, something called openstage with which I am not familiar, and listened to on Spotify.

In any case, its something of a landmark, being their first pro studio recordings.  By way of confession I'll note that I think the productions a little overdone on the vocals and would have preferred a slightly dirtier sound.  The songs are all good but none of them is a knockout like "31 Flavours".  On the other hand, it shows off their growth and progression, and chops, making this a more than worthwhile release, and one hopes for many more.  My favorite of their most recent releases have been their acoustic take on the Ramones' "Don't Come Close" and a punked-up cover of Olivia Rodrigo's "Bad Idea" - I have no idea if the latter was intended as a joke or they really like the song (which isn't half bad), but it works great punk-style, and I hope they'll actually cut a version at some point.


Also of note they apparently played a live gig.  There's a clip on their Facebook page but no further explanation.  

As to perennial older faves, the Stones have released a new one, to much fanfare - Hackney Diamonds.  Reviews have fallen into the usual categories of (A) greatest thing since Exile On Main Street to (B) they're a bunch of old farts who haven't made a good album since Exile On Main Street to (C) the Stones are shit my grandfather listens to.  So allow the Voice of Reason to step in for a sec.

I will freely admit my pro-Stones bias.  Even at their worst, they epitomize a style of rock and roll I love best - blues-rooted but not limited to, guitar-bass-drums-and a guy screaming, bad attitude.  I will freely admit that the last killer Stones album was Some Girls and that was 45 years ago(!).  However, I will also lay down that the every Stones album from 1964-1973 is at least damn good all the way through (yes, that includes the underrated Satanic Majesties and Got Live If You Want It) and that between `64 and `78 they unleashed not one but at least a half dozen truly killer albums, not counting compilations like Big Hits and Hot Rocks that are killers in their own right - and that's six more than most artists, even some very great ones, ever have or ever will.

Post-Some Girls, just about every release of theirs has had at least a few solid tracks, the only exception for me being A Bigger Bang, which I did not care for at all.  I actually liked Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge quite well.  Also Keef's Talk Is Cheap is one of my favorites (his other solo releases have their great moments), and Mick's Wandering Spirit is up to the level of any good later Stones album (his other solos do nothing for me).  I have in my possession a homemade CD collection, a best-of 1980-2013 - minus Voodoo and Bridges, and I listen to it a lot.  During that period, despite making no killer albums, they did their share of fine music.  My test is always this: if you heard this song and didn't know it was the Stones, weren't comparing it to any of their famous classics, would you like it?

So what about this one?  Classic or stinky puff?  Well, neither actually.  About half of it is completely forgettable - contemporary pop-rock with a slight edge to it, that doesn't even sound like the Stones (I wonder if either Keith or Ronnie even played on these tracks?).  

The other half is good to great.  "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" is a real gem, a definite late-period Stones winner, with a great gospel-y vocal from guest feather Lady Gaga (who I normally don't even like).  "Rolling Stone Blues" is a delta-blues style re-working of "Catfish Blues" and sounds great, all banged acoustics and harp blasts.  "Dreamy Skies" is a mournful folkie number with slide, ala "No Expectations".  "Depending On You" is another folkie ballad, very well-written.

Will it convert un-believers?  No.  But Diamonds is a worthwhile listen for any committed Stones devotee, a (presumably) final parting gift, and nothing for them to be ashamed of.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodnight Lady

Yee Loi again and ... holy crap not another Stones book!